Author Topic: 3 Easy Ways to Change your Office Space without Spending Money  (Read 682 times)

OfflineKristin

By: Sayeh Pezeshki

If you're tired of your office space but don't have the budget for a complete overhaul, you need to look at what you can change in your space right now. Or maybe you have the budget but your partner is saying you can't buy ANOTHER desk for your office when you've only had this one a year. You understand and so you want to make a change without spending money. There are easy ways to update your space without having to spend a dime and here are just a few ways.

Change your View

If you have a flexible layout in terms of your office, AKA work on your laptop from different parts of your house then this is easy. Rather than work on the dining table, consider bringing in a small desk and facing another direction. This sounds kind of weird but it's not. If I've ever tired of my workspace (GASP), I end up moving to another location of the house or part of the office for a change of space. If I'm at a desk facing the front of the office in our co-working space then I'll move to one of our wall desks or the conference room.

Get Moving

So easy and so cheap, MOVE your furniture. It may seem like there is only one way to position your desk but that's most likely un true. If you're facing a window consider facing the other direction. Feel like you're tired of looking at the wall, then face the window. Move your desk/other furniture around for a quick and easy update.

Swap things around

Another easy and totally free thing to do is swap decor. I can't tell you how often I switch out the pillows on my couch to my bed or into my home office for something new. I move the accessories that decorate my bookshelves to other parts of the house and vice versa. It's easy to find things around the house that work for your workspace and easy to swap them out for a nice update.

If you've tried all of the above and you're still over it but don't want to spend money, consider some DIY action. Break out a can of spray paint and give your desk accessories a makeover. Maybe spray paint the base of lamp or make some art and hang it up. Little things around your house can make a quick and easy (and free!) update to an otherwise "over it" office space.

Article Source: http://homeoffice.about.com/

OfflineKristin

How to make your home office look bigger

Walking into an office that feels spacious and bright can be a magical experience. The bright light that fills a large open space of an office is a privilege. Sadly, we're not all lucky enough to have a home office with tons of space. When there is little space to work with, styling your space can be a hassle. With that being said, here are a few tips, tricks and handy things to help make your home office look bigger.

1) Color palette

We wear black dresses because they make us look slimmer, AKA smaller in size. Similarly, dark walls and flooring will give an office a smaller illusion, so stick to light colors like (whites, pinks, yellows, blues) when choosing your wall color.

2) Paint your ceilings

Not many of us pay attention to a ceiling when designing a room or an office. Painting your ceiling or using wallpaper (ceilingpaper?) will not only make your office look unique, but will give the visual illusion of there being a taller ceiling.

3) Furniture

Opt for fewer, but larger statement pieces. Like a large office desk, a standing lamp with a large lampshade and a large armchair. Also, pull your furniture away from the walls to make it feel less cramped. Just a few inches away from the wall and that will instantly create the illusion of spaciousness.

4) Statement furniture and decorative pieces

There is no space for clutter (making the space feel smaller), so stick to the cantaloupe rule. Don’t panic, you don’t have to make your way to the kitchen. The rule is that all decorative pieces such as vases and art pieces should be larger than a cantaloupe. Large art pieces really give drama and expansiveness to a small space.

5) Shelves near the ceiling

Avid reader? Have a lot of books? But not much space? Hang bookshelves near the ceiling. This draws the eye upward.

6) Windows and Mirrors

Leave your windows uncovered and accessorize your office with a large mirror (possibly one that has a chic frame J) to give the office depth – illusion of spaciousness. This is also the easiest way to get more light into the office.

7) Stripes, stripes and more stripes

I’m all for black and white stripes, always have been, always will be. Vertical stripes just make everything seem longer. Just like vertical stripes on a blouse, stripes on a rug will make an office space appear longer.

Having a small office is no longer an excuse for disorganization and clutter. Your office can be just as chic and stylish as large offices.

OfflineKristin

How to Decorate a Super Small Office

By: Sayeh Pezeshki

Organizing and decorating a tiny space sure can be tough, but it's actually a really common problem. And because of the popularity of this dilemma, there are actually quite a few small office solutions that can make you enjoy your less-than-lavish space. Here are some of my favorite ideas!

1. Utilize wall space

When horizontal surface area is limited, a vertical desk organizer may be your saving grace. Take advantage of the lesser-used space above and around your desk by hanging storage shelves, or a cabinet if your wall can handle it. A hanging desk organizer, made with a large piece of plywood and a clever use of a drill, is another way to keep the floor of your office as clear as possible.

2. Become a minimalist

I know that most people much prefer having all of their supplies at their disposal, but a tiny work area means you'll have to make some sacrifices. However, that doesn't mean you can't have a stylish desk! Keep the items on and around your desk to a bare minimum to avoid any clutter (which can happen quicker than you'd think in a small space). Make sure that the few items you do have on display are the most aesthetically pleasing.

3. Go for a simple design scheme

When you've got a small space, less is most definitely more. Keep your more intricate furniture pieces in larger areas and choose streamlined pieces for your office nook. It's another way to make the space seem larger than it is, and the visual is much more satisfying.